Credit: Albert Michael/Startraksphoto.com; Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com
Thursday – June 30, 2011 – 5:42pm
One of most popular workout trends on the West Coast, Barry's Bootcamp, a super intense mix of cardio and strength-training in a night club-inspired atmosphere (think blasting music and flashing lights) loved byKim Kardashian,Britney Spears,Katie Holmesand tons of other celebs, made it's New York City debut this month.
And in honor of the boot camp-meets-dance-party fitness program, Us Weekly asked Joey Gonzalez, President of Barry's Bootcamp, whose A-list clients includeAli Larter,Christina ApplegateandJessica Alba, to share his best hot body secrets. 1. Interval cardio is the best way to burn fat. Most people run or bike at the same speed for long periods of time. It's all about switching it up; jog for a minute, sprint for 30 seconds and run for a minute. Then recover and repeat a similar pattern.
2. Strength training is not going to bulk you up. It actually boosts your metabolism, improves bone density and makes you stronger.
3. To really see results, you have to continually shock your body with cross training. Don't do the same routine everyday unless it's a program that changes daily.
4. Get your friends involved. The more fun and social you make the fitness experience, the better chance you have to continue working out regularly.
5. For toned arms, do a combination bicep curl, shoulder press with overhead tricep extension. Aim for 2 minutes at a time.
6. Alternating lunges are amazing for sculpting your rear and legs. Start with two 5-10-pound weights for one minute, dropping to a single weight, followed by one minute without any weights. Use the same strategy with squats.