Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open due to injuries


BETHESDA, MARYLAND (BNO NEWS) -- Former World No. 1 golfer Tiger Woods has announced that he will miss the 2011 U.S. Open in Maryland due to injuries.
The U.S. Open, one of the four major championships in golf, is scheduled to be held from June 16 through June 19 in Bethesda, Maryland. Woods participated last year and finished three-over-par in a tie for fourth place.
But the golfer, whose career suffered dramatically when details about numerous extramarital affairs were published, recently was diagnosed with a Grade 1 mild medial collateral ligament sprain to his left knee and a mild strain to his left Achilles tendon suffered while hitting a second shot from under the Eisenhower tree at hole No. 17 during the third round at the Masters.
"I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed. I hope to be ready for AT&T National, the next two majors and the rest of the year."
Woods previously canceled his participation in the Wells Fargo Championship and withdrew after nine holes in the first round at The Players Championship after re-injuring his leg on the opening tee short.
"It's been a frustrating and difficult year, but I'm committed to my long-term health," Woods said. "I want to thank the fans for their encouragement and support. I am truly grateful and will be back playing when I can."
In 2008, Wood competed at the U.S. Open despite having a ruptured ACL and a double stress fracture of the left tibia. Doctors then told him, however, that playing in the tournament would not make his leg worse.
Woods has won a total of 14 Major Championships since 1997. Four of those wins were at the Masters Tournament, three at the U.S. Open, three at The Open Championship, and four others were at the PGA Championship. His last major win was during the 2008 U.S. Open.

Posting Source: http://channel6newsonline.com/2011/06/tiger-woods-to-miss-u-s-open-due-to-injuries/

No comments:

Post a Comment